Friday, October 23, 2015

 Image result for locally owned and operated


 Locally owned and operated. That statement pisses me off. I can understand telling folks that a business in their neighborhood is owned by people who live nearby. It makes for a homier feel and compels prospective customers to support their neighbors' businesses.

It's "locally operated" that bothers me. Think about it. Unless it's run by remote control, it has to be locally operated. Who else could run it if it wasn't someone in the area of the store? Is it run by robots that are controlled by a computer in another state? There is just no way something cannot be locally operated.

GEICO Insurance has billboards posted around town  that read, "Visit a local office near you." Redundant! If it's local, it's near me. If it's near me, it's local. A local dentist invites prospective patients to visit one of his "local offices  right here in Richmond!" As opposed to the local offices in Boise?

I wish people would think a bit more about what they're saying when they come up with this stuff. I understand what they're trying to achieve, but when you stop and think about it, it comes across as stupid.

No comments: